1 having a surface free from roughness or bumps or ridges or irregularities; "smooth skin"; "a smooth tabletop"; "smooth fabric"; "a smooth road"; "water as smooth as a mirror" [ant: rough]
2 smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication; "he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the hostess averted a confrontation between two guests with a diplomatic change of subject"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"; "affable, suave, moderate men...smugly convinced of their respectability" - Ezra Pound [syn: politic, suave]
3 of the margin of a leaf shape; not broken up into teeth [ant: rough]
4 not marked with wrinkles; "unwrinkled cheeks" [syn: unwrinkled]
5 smooth and unconstrained in movement; "a long, smooth stride"; "the fluid motion of a cat"; "the liquid grace of a ballerina"; "liquid prose" [syn: flowing, fluent, fluid, liquid]
6 without breaks between notes; smooth and connected; "a legato passage" [syn: legato] [ant: staccato]
8 lacking obstructions or difficulties; "the bill's path through the legislature was smooth and orderly" n : the act of smoothing; "he gave his hair a quick smooth"
1 make smooth or smoother, as if by rubbing; "smooth the surface of the wood" [syn: smoothen] [ant: roughen]
2 (of surfaces) make shine; "shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes" [syn: polish, smoothen, shine]
3 free from obstructions; "smooth the way towards peace negociations" [syn: smooth out]
- Rhymes with: -uːð
EtymologyFrom smothe, from etyl ang smeþe (later: smōþ).
- Having a texture that lacks friction. Not rough.
- Without difficulty, problems, or unexpected consequences or
- We hope for a smooth transition to the new system.
- bland; glib
- This feeling, grounded on the experience of centuries of oppression, was not to be allayed by smooth explanations on the part of the advocates of the Constitution.
- In the context of "of a person": suave; sophisticated
- He was so smooth and handsome. He knew just what to say and when to say it.
- In the context of "of an action": natural; unconstrained
- In order for a reading to be smooth and effortless, readers must be able to recognize and read words accurately, automatically, and quickly.
- In the context of "of a motion": unbroken
- Demonstrate first by the numbers and then as one smooth movement.
- especially of water
- As we worked to the southward, we picked up fair weather, and enjoyed smooth seas and pleasant skies.
- In the context of "of an edge": Lacking projections or
indentations; not serrated.
- A leaf having a smooth margin, without teeth or indentations of any kind, is called entire.
- Out of the handles flipped the smooth blade and the serrated blade, which was dangerously sharp, the flathead screwdrivers, the Phillips screwdriver, the can opener, the awl.
- In the context of "of food or drink": Not grainy; having an even texture.
- A compact and stylish design, it produces 1 generous quart of excellent, smooth ice cream in 20 to 25 minutes.
- In the context of "of a beverage": Having a pleasantly rounded flavor; neither rough nor astringent.
- The coffee was smooth, so smooth she took another sip.
- mathematics of a
function Having derivatives of all finite
orders at all points within the function's domain.
- Any ANALYTIC FUNCTION is smooth. But a smooth function is not necessarily analytic.
- Lacking marked aspiration.
- Ου becomes οὐκ before a smooth vowel, and οὐχ before an aspirate.
lacking friction, not rough
- Chinese: 平滑 (pínghuá)
- Crimean Tatar: tegiz
- Czech: hladký
- Dutch: glad
- Finnish: sileä
- French: lisse
- German: glatt
- Hebrew: חָלָק (khalak)
- Hungarian: sima
- Irish: caoin
- Italian: liscio, mellifluo
- Japanese: 滑らかな (なめらかな, nameraka na)
- Korean: 매끄러운 (maekkeureo-un)
- Polish: gładki
- Portuguese: liso
- Russian: гладкий (gládkij)
- Scottish Gaelic: mìn, sèimh, socrach, tlàth
- Spanish: liso
- Swedish: jämn, len, hal, slät
- Telugu: నున్నటి (nunnaTi)
- Turkish: pürüzsüz
- Something which is smooth or
- Things are often equalized by roughs and smooths being set against one another.
- A smoothing
- She brushes down her hair with a little bit of spit and a smooth of her hand and opens the bright green door, walking a few metres, squinting.
- A domestic animal
having a smooth coat.
- In the 4-toe stock there is a wide gap between the lowest rough and the smooths which come from the same parents.
- A member of an anti-hippie fashion movement in 1970s
- By the early 1970s, skinhead culture began to mutate into the variant 'white ethnic' styles of the suedeheads and smooths.
- The analysis
obtained through a smoothing procedure.
- A smooth of the potato data set has already been given in Figure 1.2.
- To make smooth. (also "smoothe")
- She smooths her skirt, looking as composed and ladylike as possible.
- To capture important patterns in the data, while leaving out
- the 7-month moving averages provide better smoothing of the data in this case than do the 3-month moving averages.
- pedialite smoothing
Smooth could mean many things, including:
- Smooth (magazine)
- Smooth function, a function that is infinitely differentiable, used in calculus and topology.
- Smooth number, a number whose prime factors are all less than a certain value, used in applications of number theory.
- Smooth jazz, a subset of jazz music.
- Smooth (song), a hit song by Santana featuring Rob Thomas.
- Smooth FM, a radio station network in England.
- Smooth manifold.
- Smoothing, a statistical technique for handling data.
- Smooth criminal, a song by Michael Jackson.
- Draught beer served with nitrogen.
- Juanita Stokes, (aka "Smooth" or "The Female Mack") a rapper/singer infamous for her hit "Mind blowin'".
smooth in Russian: Гладкость
Ciceronian, Demosthenian, Demosthenic, Machiavellian, Machiavellic, Mickey Mouse, Tullian, accordant, acomous, acute, adipose, adulatory, agreeable, aid, align, alike, all jaw, allay, ameliorate, appease, arch, arrowlike, artful, articulate, articulated, assimilate to, assuage, astute, at rest, attenuate, attenuated, automatic, balance, balanced, bald, bald-headed, balmy, bare, beardless, believable, bland, blandishing, blarneying, blubbery, buff, burnish, burnished, buttery, butyraceous, cagey, cajoling, calender, calm, calm down, candid, canny, casual, catenated, ceaseless, chatty, chrismal, chrismatory, civilized, clean-shaven, clear, clear the way, clever, cloistered, coarsen, communicative, compose, concatenated, conciliate, concinnate, concinnous, connected, conniving, consistent, consonant, constant, continual, continued, continuing, continuous, correspondent, courteous, courtierly, courtly, cradle, crafty, credible, cunning, cursive, cushy, cute, cyclical, dab, dainty, damp, dead straight, deceitful, deep, deep-laid, defuse, delicate, depilated, depilous, designing, diplomatic, direct, disarming, disentangle, downy, drag, dress, dub, dulcet, dulcify, dwindling, ease, easy, easy as pie, ebbing, effortless, effusive, elegant, eloquent, endless, equable, equal, equalize, equilibrize, euphonic, euphonical, euphonious, even, even out, even-tenored, expansive, expedite, explain, extend, facile, facilitate, facund, faint, fair-spoken, fat, fatty, fawning, featureless, felicitous, feline, fell, filmy, fine, fine-drawn, fine-grained, fine-spoken, finespun, flat, flatly, flatten, flattened, flattering, flip, flowing, fluent, fluffy, flush, foxy, frank, free, fulsome, furbish, fuzzy, gabby, gapless, garrulous, gassy, gauzy, gentle, glabrate, glabrescent, glabrous, glassy, glib, gloss over, glossy, gossamer, gossamery, gossipy, graceful, grade, grain, granulate, grease, grease the ways, grease the wheels, greasy, gregarious, guileful, gushing, gushy, hairless, halcyon, harmonious, harmonize, harrow, hasten, help along, homaloidal, homogeneous, homogenize, honey-mouthed, honey-tongued, honeyed, horizontal, hush, hushed, immediate, immutable, impassive, in a line, incessant, ingenious, ingratiating, insidious, insincere, insinuating, interminable, invariable, inventive, iron, isolated, joined, jointless, knowing, lardaceous, lardy, lay, lay down, lay flat, lay level, lay low, lay out, lay the dust, leiotrichous, lenient, lessen, level, light, lineal, linear, linked, long-winded, loose, loquacious, lubricate, lull, make clear, make uniform, make way for, mangle, mealymouthed, measured, mechanical, mellow, methodic, mild, minimize, mitigate, moldering, mollify, monolithic, monotonous, mow, mucoid, multiloquent, multiloquious, naked, never-ending, newsy, nonchalant, nonstop, normalize, nothing to it, obsequious, of a piece, oil, oily, oily-tongued, oleaginous, oleic, open, open the way, open up, ordered, orderly, overtalkative, pacific, pacify, painless, palliate, pave, pave the way, pawky, peaceable, peaceful, perennial, perfect, periodic, persistent, persuasive, placate, placid, plain, plane, planish, plaster, plausible, pleasant, pleasing, polish, polished, polite, politic, pour balm into, pour balm on, prepare, prepare the way, press, prime, prolix, propitiate, pubescent, put straight, quell, quicken, quiescent, quiet, rase, raze, ready, rectify, rectilineal, rectilinear, recurrent, reduce, refine, refined, regular, regularize, regulate, remove friction, repetitive, reposeful, reposing, resourceful, rest, restful, resting, rich, right, robotlike, rock, rock to sleep, roll, roll flat, rolled, roughen, round, round-the-clock, royal, rub up, ruler-straight, run interference for, running, sand, sandblast, sandpaper, satin, satiny, scheming, seamless, sebaceous, secluded, sequestered, sequestrated, serene, serpentine, serried, set straight, sharp, shave, shaven, sheltered, shifty, shine, shiny, shrewd, silken, silky, silver, silver-tongued, simple, simple as ABC, simplify, sit up, sleek, slick, slimy, slippery, slobbery, sly, smarmy, smooth down, smooth out, smooth over, smooth the way, smooth-faced, smooth-running, smooth-shaven, smooth-sounding, smooth-spoken, smooth-textured, smooth-tongued, smoothed out, smoothen, smoothened, smoothly, smug, snaky, sneaky, soap the ways, soapy, sociable, soft, soft-soaping, soft-spoken, soften, soignee, soothe, soothing, sophistical, speed, spellbinding, squashed, squashed flat, stabilize, stable, stand up, standardize, steadfast, steady, stealthy, steamroll, steamroller, stereotype, still, still as death, stillish, stilly, stoic, stolid, straight, straight-cut, straight-front, straight-side, straighten, straighten out, straighten up, straightforward, strategic, streamlined, suave, suave-spoken, subdue, subsiding, subtile, subtle, suety, supple, sweet, sycophantic, symmetrical, symmetrize, syrupy, systematic, tabloid, tabular, tactical, talkative, talky, tallowy, temper, thin-spun, tonsured, tooth, tranquil, tranquilize, trickish, tricksy, tricky, tripping, trodden, trodden flat, true, twenty-four-hour, unagitated, unbar, unbend, unbending, unbent, unblock, unbowed, unbroken, unburdensome, unceasing, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, unclog, uncluttered, uncomplicated, unconstrained, unctuous, uncurl, uncurved, undeflected, undeviating, undifferentiated, undistorted, undisturbed, undiversified, unending, uneventful, unguent, unguentary, unguentous, uniform, uniformize, uniformly, unintermitted, unintermittent, unintermitting, uninterrupted, unjam, unkink, unmoved, unobstructed, unperturbed, unrelieved, unremitting, unrough, unroughened, unruffled, unsnarl, unstirring, unstopped, unswerving, untroubled, untroublesome, unturned, unvaried, unvarying, upright, urbane, velutinous, velvety, verbose, vertical, voluble, vulpine, waning, wary, well-ordered, well-spoken, wheedling, wily, windy, winning, wiredrawn